Thursday, March 24, 2011

Strawberry season--Make your own jam!

We're lucky to live in Florida where many fruits and vegetables are grown close to home. I was talking to a friend of mine here at the TV station, Cara Mueller/promotions, about how I wish I could make my own fresh, strawberry or blueberry jam!


The berries would be perfectly ripe... I would know what ingredients are in the jam (no Red Dye #40!) and I could enjoy it year round.

Next thing I knew, I had a cute little jar of bright red jam on my desk! It is DELICIOUS! Thanks Cara!



She shared how easy it is to make:

Make a quick run to the store pick up canning jars, a box of pectin (just ask any store employee where it is), sugar, and strawberries. The box of pectin will have your recipe right on the back, or just inside the box.

Check out where you can find locally grown strawberries in our area on localharvest.org

From collecting ingredients to doing the dishes ... making jam doesn't take more than 2 hours, tops. And that's including tasting the finished product.

It's a simple way to make sure that you know everything that's in the jam you are spreading on your toast - and a great way to take advantage of all the beautiful strawberries Florida has to offer.

Get a fresh perspective on health: Check out Heather's Natural Health