Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Homemade Birthday Cake




Maybe it's because this is my first and only baby...
I just couldn't get myself to order a pre-made birthday cake, loaded with synthetic coloring, corn syrup and probably genetically modified flour.

Yes, I realize my daughter will one day stuff her face with chips, sodas and cupcakes and there won't be much I can do about it! 



Right now I have a two year window where I can get her to eat just about anything! 
I am trying to give her a good foundation while she can't talk back or tell me she really wants hash browns for breakfast!

She has never even tasted canned/jarred baby food because making my own baby food is much easier than I thought! 
She eats everything... quinoa, avocados, mung beans, chicken, fresh rosemary, butternut squash... many times all mixed together!



For her first birthday, I had to make her cake. We didn't add any extra sugar/sweetener to the banana cake (make sure your bananas are almost black--they'll be extra sweet!) but I did give in to sugar-sweetened cream cheese frosting.

I made an extra small cake for us to try--and everyone ate it! It was a nice balance of not too sweet--the cream cheese frosting is killer!

I tried to add concentrated juices to color the frosting, but it added too much liquid.
Next time, I'll try India Tree natural food coloring.



Have you made your own healthy birthday cake? I'd love to share your recipe!
Hvannest@wtsp.com


Kingsley’s First Birthday Smash Cake
BANANA CAKE 
2/3 c. banana, mashed
1/2 c. earth’s balance, softened
3 lg. eggs
3/4 c. water
2 c. unbleached, gluten-free Bob’s Red Mill flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
4 tsp. cinnamon
Grease and flour a 9 x 13 inch pan. Beat together mashed banana and soft earth’s balance until creamy. Beat in water. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until very foamy. Beat into mixture. Blend in flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat until smooth. 
Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool. Serves 8-10. 
Cream Cheese Frosting   
  • 8 ounces cream cheese (recommended: Neufchatel)
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla  
With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar  until smooth and creamy. (BTW, India Tree makes natural food coloring)