Monday, July 27, 2009

Help me make a "healthy" cupcake

I've been trying to make a "healthier" cupcake. I know it sounds like an oxymoron, right?I want to believe it exists! :)

There's always a special occasion where you need to have an excellent dessert in your arsenal. Cupcakes are the right serving size and everyone loves them!

I've been eating fresh, simple foods for the past 10 years. Luckily, I've been able to make a healthier pizza, cookies, burgers, sweet potato french fries, but I've been having a tough time creating a delicious cupcake! I made my first batch a month ago for my dad's birthday. I used coconut flour, maply syrup, grapeseed oil, vanilla and I had to cheat on the frosting. I used reduced fat, organic cream cheese, mixed with maple syrup and real lemon extract. The frosting was pretty good, but I'd like to use a good fat instead of cream cheese. Frosting is the toughest part! My entire family pigged out and ate all of them, but that still doesn't mean they were a 10. I don't want to share a recipe with you until it's REALLY GOOD.

So far, my favorite dessert is the raspberry almond cookie. I won't post a cupcake recipe until we can meet or beat that cookie.

I decided to turn to the professional bakers--Babycakes in NYC. Erin McKenna just published a mouth-watering cookbook. I made her vanilla cupcakes last night. Ingredients include: garbanzo bean flour, arrowroot, xanthan gum, coconut oil applesauce, vanilla, lemon zest. I have to admit, it was labor intensive! More than a dozen specialty ingredients. The frosting needs 6 to 8 hours to set in your fridge. The frosting includes a lot of soy ingredients (I'm not a fan of soy. It's too processed for me and my aunt had estrogen receptive breast cancer so I try to watch my intake of foods that mimic estrogen. She says you can switch out soy for rice milk. I used dry goat milk).

The frosting smells delicious but I hate to say it, it's just not right. I have a tough crowd I have to please. My cupcakes have to be close to the real deal. I'll keep baking and as soon as I have a good, I'll let you know.
Please let me know if you have a good recipe or suggestion for a "healthier" cupcake. No white sugar, white flour or fake fats allowed.