Friday, July 31, 2009

Search for killer cupcakes continues...

Last night I decided to whip up a batch of Red Velvet cupcakes from the Culinary Institute's winning recipe in the American Cancer Society's "Better Birthday Challenge."
I substituted coconut flour for the all-purpose flour because it's loaded with protein & fiber AND it made some pretty good cupcakes in the past.

You can imagine my horror as this batch collapsed in front of my face!
I watched the coconut batter suck up all the liquid and turn into a thick blob! I baked them anyway (why not? see what happens)they tasted good...not too sweet, but the flour was waaaaay off!

The search for a nutritious killer cupcake recipe continues. You'll be the first to know when I find it!

Have a great weekend! I am going to try to see Food, Inc. this weekend at the Tampa Theatre. Clearly, it will have a slant...it's a documentary about the mass production of our food. Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation) & Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma) are behind it. I'll tell you what I think next week.