Wednesday, October 7, 2009

How to lower your exposure to BPA (synthetic estrogen)

If you've seen me around town, there's a good chance I was lugging this thing in my purse...





I fill up this stainless steel jug with filtered, reverse osmosis water from my house just about every day.
(I have a few of them so I can rotate and wash them--$20 bucks, Whole Foods)

I used to keep a 6 pack of plastic water bottles at my desk to make sure I would drink water throughout the day.
Not only did the water TASTE like plastic, but it was literally LEACHING plastic chemicals into my body which can mimic estrogen. Researchers warn extra estrogen has been linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer and other reproductive disorders. Plus, I doubt guys even want to hear how extra estrogen can contribute to some "interesting" physical changes in their bodies.

(Check out earlier article I told you about regarding a Harvard study that found BPA (bisphenol A) leaching from hard, plastic bottles into water. More stories and recipes are on Heather's Natural Health.com ).

A new study  suggests pregnant women need to be extra cautious when it comes to exposure to controversial chemicals in plastic including BPA.
The study found pregnant moms with high BPA levels were more likely to give birth to more aggressive girls.
Researchers believe the study suggests exposing a developing baby to extra estrogen can distrupt hormones.
The study tracked the girls around two years of age, but researchers want to see what happens as the girls grow.

Read the study here on Heather's Natural Health.com

If you'd like to learn how to lower your exposure to BPA, here are a few things you can do:
Say goodbye to plastic drinking glasses and plastic  food containers.



I stick to glass or stainless steel products.




Also, most food companies and soda companies line the inside of their cans with an epoxy resin that contains BPA. (Great, right?)




Try to buy fresh, or frozen vegetables instead of canned.
At least one company, Eden Organics, uses a BPA free lining for its cans which is recommended by consumer advocacy group, Center for Science in the Public Interest.




If you're a die-hard soda drinker, it's really too bad that it is hard to find those old fashioned, glass bottles.
Unfortunately, many children's products contain BPA, so avoid hard, plastic sippy cups (you can find stainless steel or BPA free) and look for BPA free infant formula bottles and teethers.

Other countries have banned BPA in children's products for kids under the age of 3. We'll see what happens in this country.
In the meantime, you can vote with your wallet for the best products.