Monday, September 28, 2009

Cranberry "shot" over flu shot for me

This time of year, you can get the flu shot just about anywhere... work, drugstore, yes, we've even seen them offered at a strip club!
Friends always ask me if I get the seasonal flu shot.
For me, it doesn't make sense because I try to boost my immune system by eating fresh, whole foods.
This year, I am making more of an effort to drink the garlic broth soup I told you about below once a week for its antibacterial/antiviral properties.



I also have hand sanitizer near my desk and in the TV studio.

I also add a "shot" of pure cranberry juice to my water which also has antibacterial properties (high vitamin C too). Check ingredients to make sure it contains only cranberries.




I found this interesting article from the St. Pete Times:

Canadian medical researchers are raising a few eyebrows because yet unpublished research from British Columbia, Ontario suggests people who got seasonal flu shots last year are more susceptible to swine flu.
Ontario medical officials have even rescheduled its seasonal flu vaccine program until after the swine flu vaccine has been given. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says it has not found this result with its reviews.

Age, health conditions, work environment, all influence your choice.
If you want to get the flu shot, I would encourage you to ask for a mercury free version (Thimerosol free) because the flu shot typically contains mercury.