Friday, September 25, 2009

You are what you "drink"

I lug around a huge, 40 ounce stainless steel water jug (yes, it actually fits in my purse!)  filled with filtered water from my reverse osmosis home system.

You know you are what you eat AND drink.

Water can contain an interesting brew of chemicals. Chemicals leach into our environment and aquifer. More chemicals are used to "treat" our drinking water. Additional chemicals found in older pipes are picked up along the way.
Pure water is hard, if not impossible, to find!
You certainly can check your water quality by calling the Environmental Protection Agency's Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1-800-426-4791 or click here.
You'll see how "easy" (insert sarcasm) it is to understand the results.

I work in a newsroom so I certainly have seen my share of boil water alerts, chemical spills and water quality controversies.
I try to do what I can...within reason. That's how I ended up with my stainless steel, 40 ouncer.




Not only does it save me money, but it helps me avoid synthetic estrogen chemicals that can leach from plastic bottles.
Read Harvard study here   
I filled up my stainless steel jug with filtered water from home and I'm out the door.

Did you know you can also have bottled water delivered to your home or work in glass containers?
It costs about $16.00 a container.
Mountain Valley Spring Water delivers in the Tampa Bay area.




I don't know about you, but I work in an older building. I find it's just easier to keep filtered water at my side in my stainless steel container so I can make sure I drink water throughout the day and never have to think twice about what's in it.

We decided to get a reverse osmosis system installed in our kitchen at home because Consumer Reports found it was the most effective way to filter water. It cost a couple hundred bucks (and $75 to get the filters changed every year).



I'm thinking about this topic right now because I added an Associated Press investigation to Heather's Natural Health.com that found contaminated drinking water in thousands of schools including several in the Tampa Bay area.

As a reporter, I see too many stories and studies about contaminated drinking water, so for me, this little bit of effort, is worth it.

It's easier than ever to find stainless steel drinking bottles. I bought mine at Whole Foods for less than $20.00, but I've also seen them at Walgreens and Target.

Cheers! Here's to filtered water!