Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How to get "garbage in, garbage out"

The only way I can avoid cake, doughnuts, candy and other junk in the newsroom is to make sure when I arrive at work, I am filled to the gills with good stuff!

That's why I always eat breakfast and lunch before work. Sometimes it's hard to know which foods (especially cereal) are REALLY good for you. Did you read the story I added to Heather's Natural Health about processed food companies creating their own "Smart Choice" label for sugar filled cereals like Fruit Loops?

One of my favorite cereals that tastes great AND is loaded with fiber is Kashi VIVE.



It's hard to find a high fiber cereal that doesn't taste like cardboard. VIVE tastes like graham crackers and has 12 grams of fiber per serving. I usually add some cinnamon.
I like that it does NOT have corn syrup and other processed ingredients like some high fiber cereals.

Fiber is a good thing for you to eat every day.

I interviewed Dr. Steven Masley about natural ways to lower cholesterol. One of his tips is to eat at least 40 grams of fiber a day. He said to think of it as a "dump truck" that gets all of the garbage in your gut, out!



The ONLY problem is that VIVE can be hard to find. I stock up when I find it at health food stores. You should be able to find it at Greenwise stores and apparently, Walmart.

Tell me about some of your favorite healthy breakfasts on the run so I can share.
Heather@10connects.com