Thursday, September 17, 2009

Other options for lush lashes...

You've probably seen the commercials or maybe you have friends with luscious long lashes thanks to Latisse?

Like many ladies, I LOVE long lashes too. I admit I tried Latisse when it first came out, but it irritated my eyes, so I stopped using it.

I don't like the idea of using a medication everyday or it won't work anyway.
There are so many other options available that Latisse just wasn't worth it for me.
I really like using a natural "conditioner" on my eyelashes... unrefined, raw coconut oil.




I put a small amount on my lashes before I go to bed.  I have really sensitive eyes. It doesn't bother my eyes and I've noticed that my lashes are stronger and longer. (Washing my face every night can make my face/lashes dry. You know how your hair soaks up conditioner, my eyelashes seem to do the same with the small amount of coconut oil I use. You can find unrefined coconut at Whole Foods or any health food store.)

Of course, for big impact, the store bought variety always work too!





I heard rumblings about the medication even changing the color of the iris... to brown.
Now the FDA is warning customers to understand the risks associated with the medication.

Here's the article from the Associated Press:
The Food and Drug Administration has warned Allergan Inc. that the Web site for its eyelash thickener Latisse is misleading because it avoids or downplays risks associated with the product.
In a letter dated Sept. 10 and posted to the FDA Web site the agency said the Latisse site either doesn't mention potential side effects including bacterial eye infection, allergic reactions, excess hair growth outside the intended treatment area, and permanent changes in iris and eyelid pigmentation, or presents them in small text that is much less prominent than statements about the product's effectiveness.

The drug is approved to make eyelashes thicker, fuller and darker. The FDA approved it for that use in December. Latisse, or bimatoprost was already on the market as a treatment for glaucoma.
In some cases, pages on the Web site leaves out information that is included in Latisse packaging.
"These promotional materials are misleading because they omit and minimize risks associated with Latisse," the agency wrote. Allergan was asked to immediately stop distributing the misleading material and send a written response to the FDA by Sept. 24.

In the letter, the Irvine, Calif.-based company is supposed to state whether it will comply with the FDA request, list all Latisse promotional materials, identify those that violate FDA rules, and explain its plan to stop using those materials.