Monday, September 21, 2009

Jumping off the "healthy food wagon"

We went out to dinner Saturday with some good friends and I couldn't help myself... I was going to order a small steak, spinach with garlic and maybe another vegetable.
But then, something happened... that CRAVING for Flemings macaroni and cheeeeeeese!
It's been a LONG time since I've had one, well, maybe two, or I guess three of my favorite "pigfest" foods...
macaroni and cheese, a hamburger (I did split it with a friend) and french fries!
(I usually eat this buffalo burger when I want a burger because the meat is better for you than beef)



Yes, the memories of my junk food days came flooding back! Yup, I loved every minute of it!





Today though, I am taking the reigns and getting back on the wagon before I open the floodgates.
To help me get back on track, I always make a huge pot of healthy soup. I'm going to make the "Healing Soup" below. I swear it makes a difference (maybe all the garlic kills the cravings for junk food, not sure, but I know it always makes me feel great).

Because I am a repoter, I am also bombarded with latest health news and studies so mentally, I am always motivated to eat healthy, fresh foods.

I just came across this study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that reminds me why it's good to watch what we eat.
Researchers say 90 percent of all Americans have at least one risk factor for heart disease. As we all know, heart disease is the number one killer, but the truth is, it can be prevented.
Americans are literally killing themselves by giving into processed foods and high fat foods every day.
CDC researchers say virtually all Americans have one or more of the following:
High blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, overweight, smoke or don't exercise enough.
I also find that blood work is another great way to motivate yourself to get healthy.
We're getting ready to have our annual physicals because we know preventative healthcare can help us stay on track.