Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Heather's homemade "ice cream"

One of my all-time favorite foods is ice cream! I love Ben & Jerry's Cookie Dough & my husband, Mike, loves Chunky Monkey. Remember the days of eating 2 scoops stashed in a chocolate dipped waffle cone?

I don't eat like that anymore, but every once in a while, I do CRAVE ice cream or some kind of frozen treat that isn't loaded with refined sugar, chemical sweeteners or other junk... that's how I ended up with this easy, homemade "ice cream" dessert...
The only catch... you have to like bananas!
This is so easy to make. Here's what you need:



-Two ripe bananas (because I KNOW you'll have to share)
-Pinch of cinnamon
-Chopped mixed nuts
-Chopped dark chocolate chips
-1 teaspoon real vanilla extract (it still works without)

Puree bananas with a little water (add vanilla). Pour mixture in small dish. Add toppings. Cover with aluminum foil but make sure it does not touch the dessert or it will stick.
Leave it in your freezer for one hour.



Here's an even easier way to make this:
Mike likes it when I just roll ripe, whole bananas, in crushed nuts & dark chocolate pieces. Wrap the bananas in wax paper & stick them in the freezer.

Not only are you making your own whole food dessert, but it's loaded with potassium (good for heart & nervous system) fiber (4 grams) and vitamin B6!
The best part... you can pronounce all the ingredients! Enjoy

If bananas aren't your thing, check out this vanilla stevia yogurt parfait:



It's tough to eat plain yogurt by itself so I like to add a few drops of vanilla liquid stevia to my yogurt--You can buy a variety of flavors at Whole Foods. Just look in the supplement section.

This naturally sweet herb (used in South America & Japan) has zero calories and no chemicals or carbs.

I mix it into my yogurt and then top it with dark chocolate, mixed berries, raw almonds or even granola so you can have it for breakfast. Enjoy!